How to identify the passive voice: If you can add the words 'by zombies' after the verb, then it is in the passive voice.
John was eaten by zombies.
This is in the passive voice because the zombies are performing the action in the sentence. When writing in the passive voice, the actor comes after the action. People who write like this sound like goddamn textbooks. It’s boring because it takes the emphasis off of the action.
When you put it into the active voice it becomes:
The zombies ate John.
This makes for a more exciting sentence!
- anxiouslollygagging reblogged this from nearlyclever
- anxiouslollygagging likes this
- emmaandnobodies likes this
- u-filthy-bastard reblogged this from nearlyclever
- u-filthy-bastard likes this
- carrieanncartwright likes this
- subspeak likes this
- nearlyclever likes this
- wildchildenchanted said: This is an excellent example. I’m going to steal this little test. Hope you don’t mind!
- wildchildenchanted likes this
- heymissat likes this
- heymissat said: Umm. I am using this on Wednesday when I teach this! Thanks, yo!
- nearlyclever posted this